Pontoon boats have gained immense popularity over the years due to their versatility and ability to provide a relaxing and enjoyable experience on the water. While these boats offer various features, one accessory that has become increasingly sought after is the pontoon boat hard top. In this guide, we will explore everything you need to know about pontoon boat hard tops in 2023.
What is a Pontoon Boat Hard Top?
A pontoon boat hard top is a structure that is installed on the upper deck of a pontoon boat to provide shade, protection from the elements, and additional storage space. It is typically made of durable materials such as fiberglass or aluminum and is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions while enhancing the overall aesthetics of the boat.
Benefits of Pontoon Boat Hard Tops
1. Protection from the Sun: One of the primary advantages of a pontoon boat hard top is the shade it provides. This is particularly beneficial during hot summer days when the sun’s rays can be intense. The shade allows you to enjoy your time on the water without worrying about sunburn or heat exhaustion.
2. Weather Protection: A hard top provides protection from rain, wind, and other elements. This means you can continue your boating adventures even when the weather is not ideal. It also keeps your belongings safe and dry, preventing any damage.
3. Increased Storage Space: Most pontoon boat hard tops come with built-in storage compartments. These can be used to store fishing gear, life jackets, water toys, or any other items you may need during your boating trips. This additional storage helps keep the deck clutter-free, allowing for a more enjoyable experience.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Pontoon Boat Hard Top
1. Material: Consider the material used in the construction of the hard top. Fiberglass is durable and offers a sleek appearance, while aluminum is lightweight and resistant to corrosion.
2. Size and Design: Ensure that the hard top is compatible with the dimensions and layout of your pontoon boat. It should not obstruct any existing features or impede the movement of passengers.
3. Ease of Installation: Look for a hard top that can be easily installed without the need for extensive modifications to your boat. This will save you time and money on installation costs.
The installation process for a pontoon boat hard top varies depending on the manufacturer and model. It is recommended to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to ensure proper installation. In general, the process involves securing the hard top to the boat’s deck using mounting brackets, drilling holes if necessary, and attaching any additional accessories such as lighting or speakers.
Maintenance and Care
To ensure the longevity of your pontoon boat hard top, regular maintenance is essential. Follow these tips:
1. Clean the hard top regularly using mild soap and water to remove dirt and salt residue.
2. Inspect the hardware and fasteners for any signs of corrosion or damage. Replace any worn-out parts to maintain the structural integrity of the hard top.
3. Apply a protective wax or coating to the hard top to prevent fading and maintain its appearance.
A pontoon boat hard top is a valuable addition to any pontoon boat, offering protection from the sun and weather, as well as additional storage space. When choosing a hard top, consider the material, size, and ease of installation. With proper maintenance and care, your pontoon boat hard top will enhance your boating experience for years to come.